Sunday, 14 July 2013

Sewing: Darling ranges forget-me-not dress

I really need to get a tripod. The photos below were taken with the help of a wooden stool, a mixing bowl and a cafetiere. As you can guess the camera swayed, the pictures became blurry and  I felt reluctant posting them. I thought I'd snap new ones, but I got cat food on the dress and now it is in the wash. So blurry pics it is. Until I buy a tripod that is.

Whining over, let's talk about sewing.


I loved the look of the Megan Nielsen Darling Ranges dress pattern as soon as I saw it. However, the headache it caused! OMG!

I bought a Liberty archive reprint fabric for this dress and because I love the fabric so much I decided to make a muslin first. I'm glad I made that decision, because I probably made 7 bodice muslins before finding something that worked for me.

Basically, when I sewed the darts I ended up with some weird wrinkles and pointedness around the bust. Not at all flattering.

In the end I made the darts a bit smaller (thinner), a tiny bit longer and placed them a bit further down. Helped massively!

At this point I was tired of the dress and still not completely convinced by the pattern. So I put the Liberty fabric away for more successful sewing days and decided to make the dress up quickly, no thinking, in an affordable material to be on the safe side.

The forget-me-nots were in full bloom and I fell madly in love with them. I ordered a floral cotton in forget-me-not blue and set to work. I didn't really have enough fabric, so the dress had to be sleeveless.


And...I love it! So worth all the trouble. It's really my ideal kind of day dress. Simple, versatile (looks good with wellies and with heels!) and incredibly comfortable. And the colour, ah the colour. I just want to put on this dress, take a pile of books and find a meadow full of cows to laze away the summer days in.

Have to make it up in the Liberty fabric soon!

Disclaimer: Aside from the bust issue I have to say that both the pattern and the instructions were an absolute delight to work with. Beautifully printed pattern, stunningly packaged and presented, fantastic instructions, and excellent resources on the website.

I'm certain it is my lack of experience altering patterns that resulted in so many attempts at adapting the pattern to my size. Somebody with more experience probably could have solved it immediately. Or somebody with common sense would have used the tutorials on the Megan Nielsen blog instead of going for the trial and error approach.

Overall: can't wait to get my hands on some more Megan Nielsen! I have my eyes on the Kelly skirt next.

But now if you excuse me Fonsie and I have a meadow full of cows to find.



4 comments:

  1. Oh! This post is lovely! I know what you mean about not having a tripod but your pictures came out wonderful and so did the dress. It looks like you're in some kind of secret garden somewhere. Love the sandals that you paired it with!

    http://aredesignedlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. :) The garden belongs to my landlords and really is the perfect photography location. I'm very lucky to have access to it.

      Delete
  2. You look lovely! And I can recognise that feeling with having to put the dress in the washer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment and sympathy re the washer situation. :)

      Delete